Sunday, February 3, 2013

My Cancer Journey - Part 10: First Chemo Treatment

On January 22nd, I had minor surgery to install a POWER PORT that sits under the left collar bone. The port is beneficial so that I won’t end up getting repeated vein sticks during chemo treatments, and also so the drugs they use will not burn my skin.

After the surgery, I had my first treatment that same day. I was still a bit groggy from surgery, so I slept through most the treatment, but all went well. One down and 15 more to go! (NOTE: The first 4 treatments are spaced every 2 weeks apart. Then, after a short break, there will be a change in medication and I will have a treatments once per week for 12 weeks. If all goes well, I will be finished by the end of July.) The only major drawback was that my immune system was weakened and I ended up with a terrible head cold that I couldn't shake, which then turned into a sinus infection.

My second treatment is coming up this Tuesday, as long as I'm well enough.

So, as you can see, this "journey" is far from over but, since I have you caught up on what has happened this far, I am done posting on a daily basis for now. As I am able, I will post updates on how things are going. In the meantime, I ask for your prayers for me and for my family.

Let me leave you with this quote from Cynthia Heald, the author of my favorite devotional "Becoming a Woman Who Walks with God." 


"The Scriptures do not guarantee that 'all will be well' according to our human perspective. They do, however, promise that God will work all things for our good. As we learn to trust Him 'no matter what,' He develops within us a deeply rooted confidence in Him. This confidence enables us to lean on HIS understanding and HIS ways of working in our lives."



1 comment:

Please leave a comment. I would love to know your thoughts! (NOTE: There will be a delay before your comment shows up due to all comments being moderated. Advertisements or spam will not be approved for publication.)