Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm Taking A New Blood Thinning Medication

Good news..... Last week, I had another Doppler to check and see if my blood clots have dissolved. The results are mostly positive, as the larger clot in my subclavian vein seems to be gone. I have good blood flow in my arm and the swelling is gone!

There is, however, still a small clot in my jugular vein (in my neck). I had an appointment with my Oncologist yesterday, and he said I will still need to be on some sort of blood thinning medication for awhile. The Tamoxifen I am taking has a slight risk of causing blood clots, so there is a very good chance the clot will get worse if I don't take a blood thinner.

Xarelto
Instead of giving myself shots of Arixtra every day, we are trying a newer medication called XARELTO. It is a small pill, taken once a day, and I do not need to get regular blood work like those who take Coumadin/Warfarin. I am happy about that.

Another Doppler is not scheduled until two months from now; and I will see my doctor again one week after that.

Aside from the clot, my blood pressure was back down to normal yesterday, and I continue to improve with my energy level. The pain in my joints also seems to be improving, as well as the numbness in my fingers.

I am beginning to feel more like "myself" again.

God is good.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your good news! I pray things keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to know your thoughts! (NOTE: There will be a delay before your comment shows up due to all comments being moderated. Advertisements or spam will not be approved for publication.)